About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

lunes, 19 de marzo de 2018

10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth by Erica

10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth by Erica

10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

This year I decided to do a Sugar-Free January: I made a commitment to cut out added sugar for 30 days. I had been limiting my sugar intake for about 6 months prior to that, and had discovered a few tricks to keeping on track. So I knew it would be a challenge, but doable.

I learned many things on this journey, and I wanted to share them with you! So here are my top 10 tips to tame your sweet tooth!

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Have a plan.

I don’t know about you, but vague goals don’t work very well for me. If I say to myself, “I’m going to try to eat less sugar,” I end up making excuses for why it’s okay to have sugar in this instance, and pretty soon I’m eating dessert several times a week. But if I make a game plan with definite rules, I’m much more likely to stick with it.

You can be as lenient or strict as you like. Maybe you want to start with only having dessert 2 times a week. Or maybe you want to cut out all sugar except for what naturally occurs in fruit. It’s up to you! But write out a concrete plan.

 

Start training yourself to need less sugar.

You can rip off the bandage and cut out all sugar cold turkey like I did, or you can do it gradually. For example, start by cutting out 1/4 cup of sugar for each cup that a recipe calls for. After a month or two, cut out 1/3 cup, then 1/2 cup. See how little sugar you can get by with. You might be surprised by how your taste buds change over time to need less sugar!

Sometimes it’s helpful to do a sudden sugar cleanse to show you how addicting it is, but be aware that you will probably have some major cravings!

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Make your treats from scratch.

This goes hand-in-hand with my previous tip. If you make your sweet treats at home instead buying pre-packaged versions, you can control how much and what kind of sugar goes into it.

 

Make desserts that need less sugar to taste good.

I find that if a dessert is creamy, it needs less sugar to taste good. Things like cheesecake, ice cream, and pudding lend themselves to reducing sugar easier than cakes, cookies, doughnuts, etc. in my experience.

One of my favorite healthier desserts is fresh berries with homemade whipped cream. Delicious!

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Beware of natural sweeteners.

First, let me say that I don’t have anything against natural sweeteners. I think they are an awesome choice and have more nutrients than ultra-refined sugar. But if your goal is to rein in your sweet tooth, it might be a good idea to limit natural sweeteners as well as refined ones for a while. Yes, they are healthier, but they still taste sweet. If you really want to kick your sugar habit, you need to cut back on all forms of it for a season, even nutrient-dense ones.

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Start your day with a savory breakfast.

I have heard this bit of advice over and over again, and I think it is very wise. If you start out your day by shoving a sugary treat into your mouth, you’re setting yourself up to crave sweet things all day. But if you can just have the self control to eat a savory breakfast, you’ll be starting your day on the right foot.

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Put less or no sweetener in your coffee and tea.

You may think that there’s no way you can enjoy your morning cup of coffee or tea without a spoonful of sugar. I’m here to tell you that you can! Honestly, I prefer the way my coffee and tea taste with a bit of sweetener. But I can still savor a good cuppa without it.

My two best tips for going without (or with less) sugar in your hot drinks are:

  1. Make sure that you’re using high quality tea or coffee. You don’t need as much sweetener if the actual drink has a beautiful, rich flavor.
  2. Try adding a splash of cream or frothed milk. Sugar definitely helps to cut through the bitterness of coffee, but cream does as well! And when you froth milk, it actually tastes sweeter. Check out my 8 Ways to Froth Milk tutorial if you’re unsure how to do it.

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Try one bite of a dessert before committing.

Instead of taking a large slice of chocolate cake right away, try one bite first. That way you can see if it’s good enough to warrant all of the sugar you’ll be eating. Some desserts are so divine that they’re worth the sugar splurge. Others just aren’t. And you might actually find that you’re content if you just get to taste a dessert.

Also, it is OKAY to say no to dessert. Don’t feel pressured by others if you’ve already made the decision to pass. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for making a choice for your health. Just laugh it off if someone makes fun of you.

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Watch out for hidden sugar.

Until I did a Whole30 a couple of years ago, I didn’t realize that sugar is in EVERYTHING. To this day I’m still surprised by what I find it in. We’re so used to drowning every meal in it, even savory ones! Make sure to read labels before you buy.

Watch out for sugar in:

  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • mayonnaise
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • BBQ sauce
  • teriyaki sauce
  • pizza sauce
  • pasta sauce
  • Sriracha
  • gochujang
  • peanut sauce
  • kimchi
  • salad dressings
  • crackers
  • chips
  • granola bars

And many more prepackaged foods!

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Keep a variety of savory snacks on hand.

I think I saved my best tip for last!

I’m the type of person that will be going about my day perfectly fine one minute, and HANGRY the next. It seriously creeps up on me unexpectedly. If I have a stash of savory snacks on hand, I’m much more likely to reach for them instead of a square of chocolate (my greatest weakness!).

Ideas for savory snacks include:

  • cheese
  • pickles
  • olives
  • pork rinds
  • tortilla chips (awesome with a slice of cheese!)
  • unsweetened jerky
  • fresh vegetables
  • nuts
  • seaweed snacks

 
 
10 Tips to Tame Your Sweet Tooth

Finally, I’d like to encourage you to give yourself some grace on your journey to tame your sweet tooth. Sugar can be quite addicting. It’s okay if you “mess up” here and there along the way. I definitely did. Don’t let it make you give up. Be strong and keep going!

If you have any tips of your own for conquering the sugar monster, please share with us in the comments!

 
 

http://ift.tt/2u4uDfQ

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario