About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

lunes, 7 de enero de 2019

How to Make Stovetop Potpourri by Bridget

Stovetop potpourri seems to spread fragrance better than any candle or air freshener can. Making it is easy, too. Grab some things that smell nice, throw them in a pot, add liquid (usually water), and heat on low. Ahhhhh, big inhale.

My mom used to buy containers of mulling spices and instead of combining them with wine or apple cider, she’d just simmer them with water on the stove. I think of her every time I see or smell mulling spices. I thought I’d share some of my favorite combinations with you. (Side note: raise your hand if this is putting you in the mood for Ree’s Mulled Apple Cider.)

Quantities don’t matter here. As long as you have enough liquid in the pot so that things don’t burn, you’re good to go. If the liquid starts to get low, just add more. Stovetop potpourri should be heated just below a simmer. Bring it to a simmer, then lower the heat. On that note, don’t leave the house with a stovetop potpourri going. They’re perfect for days when you’re hosting a house full of company or you’re hanging out at home.

 
 

You don’t even need to make stovetop potpourri on the stovetop. Use your slow cooker. If you go that route, heat with the lid on until warm and steamy, then remove the lid and heat on low. Note: Don’t leave the house with the lid off.

 
 

Orange, Cranberry, and Clove

This combination is just a classic. Here’s a good use for that bag of cranberries you’ve had frozen for a year and aren’t sure you want to use in baking.

 
 

Simply combine cranberries, sliced oranges, and several cloves. Add water and heat.

 
 

Apple Cider

If you love the scent of apples baking in fall, this potpourri is for you. Heat sliced apples with cinnamon sticks, ground or whole cardamom, star anise, and vanilla with a bottle of apple cider.

 
 

For the vanilla, I always have a sad, dried out vanilla bean hanging around and this is the perfect place to use it. No vanilla bean? No problem. Add a bit of vanilla extract or leave it out altogether.

 
 

Rosemary and Lemon

Want a clean scent rather than cozy? Make your potpourri with lemon slices, rosemary, and a few peppercorns.

 
 

It’s a fresh, almost piney scent.

 
 

Gingerbread Cookie

This one is my favorite. Is that any surprise? To a pot of water, add a bit of molasses (no need to add a lot, maybe 1/4-1/2 cup depending on how much water you use), sliced fresh ginger, a whole nutmeg that’s been grated a bit, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and whole allspice. This smells exactly like my favorite gingerbread cookie recipe.

A note on the nutmeg: I use freshly grated nutmeg in my baking, so I pop one of the used ones in my potpourri. If you use ground nutmeg, just shake a bit of that in instead.

 
 

I love using real ingredients to fragrance our home. (Don’t get me wrong, I still LOVE a good candle.) There’s just something old-fashioned and cozy about stovetop potpourri. Do you ever make them?

 
 

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario