About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

lunes, 21 de mayo de 2018

Graduation, Sadness…and Gladness! by The Pioneer Woman

Graduation, Sadness…and Gladness! by The Pioneer Woman

Caleb, my nephew, graduated Friday night! It was surreal; there’s no way he’s old enough to graduate from high school.

As in No. Possible. Way.

 
 
All the kids were there! Including Todd, who is now nine feet tall.

When Todd graduates…

Never mind. I don’t want to talk about Todd graduating.

 
 
Alex was home for a week before her summer internship begins in Dallas. I just sent her an encouraging text this morning as she was walking in to day one of the job, and then I laughed when I reread it because it’s such a mom thing to say:

“Just be armed with God’s confidence, have a servant’s heart, a positive attitude, and let your light shine!!!!”

Haha. Okay, MOM.

 
 
It was a fun, family-filled evening…

 
 
And then we did it again the next day for Paige! I believe I wrote about Alex’s graduation ceremony three years ago, the ceremony where Ladd and I were required to stand up and speak to Alex on stage, and we had to keep handing each other the mic because we kept breaking up and blubbering. Well, Ladd would not characterize his emotional response as blubbering, but in relative terms, he pretty much was.

So we were all ready to stand up and address Paige on stage. We had made doubly sure to desensitize ourselves to the emotions of it all and were very sure that we would pull it off without a hitch. And then I grabbed the mic, started talking, and lost it again. Then I handed the mic to Ladd and he lost it, too.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH US? Our poor girls. Their parents seem so strong and happy, and they crumble anytime they have to speak to their children in public. (But good news: One of the other dads out-blubbered Ladd. So we’re good.)

I think there was a little more behind our tears this time. Ladd and I (and the whole family) are experiencing the pain of having a loved one in hospice care with cancer. The hard news and hospice came on Mother’s Day, just as we were entering what was otherwise one of the happiest weeks in the Drummond family, with both Caleb and Paige graduating. It’s been a constant flow (and undefinable mix) of emotions and tears—I haven’t been able to discern where the graduation tears start and the hospice tears stop.

I remember first reading about the phenomenon of “The Sandwich Generation” in college and thinking about how distant that seemed from anything I would ever experience in my life. Put it on the list of things you never think you’ll have to deal with when you’re carefree and in college.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a little bit about what’s happening in our lives here. I’m always trying (emphasis on trying) to balance family members’ privacy and letting everyone’s story be their own…but I love all of you and feel strange not telling you that we have this sadness going on even as the daily business of our lives is moving along.

 
 
The thing about sadness, though. It makes the gladness that much more sweet.

Life is funny that way.

Love,
Pioneer Woman

https://ift.tt/2IzWGGN

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario