About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

jueves, 5 de julio de 2018

Smoothies 101 by Dara

Smoothies 101 by Dara

There are days when fitting in my daily allotment of fruits and vegetables seems like a chore that’s never going to happen. But one thing I know about myself is that if I incorporate a large dose of veggies into my breakfast, I set myself up for healthier choices throughout the rest of the day. Sometimes that means a spinach and mushroom omelet, and other days, I opt for a green smoothie, chock-full of vegetables and fruit.

And the bonus? I can typically whip up a smoothie in about 5 minutes, which is also a good thing when I want to turn to something healthier than a pile of cheese and crackers during the afternoon “munchies” hour.

There are as many ways to make smoothies as there are people in the world, but this guide will give you a basic formula to use when you’re blending up your next smoothie.

 
 

Liquid

In the recipe below (my favorite tropical green smoothie), I use water as the base. However, milk, coconut water, juice or dairy-free milks (think almond, cashew or coconut milk) are all good options. Particularly when adding frozen fruit to your smoothie, you want to be sure to add enough liquid so you don’t burn out the motor on your blender.

 
 

Veggies

Is it always necessary to add vegetables to your smoothies? Of course not! But it’s a great way to work an extra serving or two of vegetables into your diet, along with all of their powerhouse nutrients. And depending on the other ingredients in the smoothie, you may not even taste the vegetables.

My favorites are kale, spinach, celery, cooked beets and carrots, but you could really step out of the box with sweet potatoes or zucchini. Nope, I’m not kidding!

Puree the vegetables with the liquid until very smooth to make sure you don’t end up with any chunks in your smoothie. That would be a dead giveaway that you’re trying to sneak in something that would normally cause the kids to turn up their noses!

 
 

Fruits

Fresh or frozen, the sky’s the limit when it comes to fruit. Go tropical with mango, banana, pineapple or papaya. Turn to the berry side with blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. Take some time to peruse the frozen fruit section at the supermarket. You might be surprised to find some unusual options, such as frozen dragon fruit chunks.

A tip for adding oranges: Assuming that the oranges don’t have seeds, simply peel the orange and break it into quarters before adding to the blender. You’ll get the added fiber benefits of the orange membranes by not segmenting the fruit.

 
 

Protein and other nutrients

I’m someone that needs some protein and healthy fats with my breakfast or snacks to feel really satisfied, so I opt to add a couple of dollops of nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew or sun butters, for example), protein powder or flaxseed meal.

If using protein powder, you can either opt for unflavored or flavored versions depending on your taste preferences.

 
 

Other flavors

Depending on the fruit you use and any dietary restrictions, you may choose to add sweeteners such as honey, agave nectar, maple syrup or other natural sweeteners.

Fresh ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cocoa powder and nutmeg are all fantastic ways to spice up your smoothie!

 
 

The sky’s the limit for smoothie mix-ins. What are some of your favorites?

 

https://ift.tt/2NvDih0

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario