About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

lunes, 10 de septiembre de 2018

How to Make Gravlax by Natalie

How to Make Gravlax by Natalie

This is one of those recipes where I wonder why I hadn’t been doing this all of my life. Gravlax or cured salmon is super tasty and something I used to buy for our Christmas morning breakfast spread. It’s on the pricey side, too, and we considered it a treat.

Well, I think we might be spoiled since I started making it at home. It’s much more economical and easier than you think!

There are a lot of ways to make gravlax, including traditional Norwegian methods of burying the salmon in the ground for a few days while it cures.

Spoiler: I don’t have salmon buried in my backyard.

I’m going to get this right out in the open that I’m not a Norwegian gravlax purist. I’ll show you an easy way to make it that is great on its own, yet leaves you some wiggle room to experiment with flavors if you like.

 
 

Start off with some fresh salmon laying on top of a large piece of plastic wrap. I love the wild Alaska salmon that comes into stores during the summer. It’s one of my favorite seasonal treats!

You’ll want to find a fillet that’s relatively even in thickness. (It doesn’t need to be exact, though.) You also need some lemon juice, sugar, kosher salt, and fresh dill.

Don’t use fine salt or regular table salt or your salmon will be too salty. You could use coarse sea salt if you like, too.

 
 

Squirt the lemon juice over the salmon, the mix the salt, sugar, and chopped dill together. Pile the mixture on top of the salmon. This will be enough for 1 full salmon fillet (around 3 pounds).

I cut it in half to make it easier to prep and to take up less refrigerator space. I’ll show you in a minute.

 
 

Wrap the salmon tightly in the plastic wrap.

 
 

Stack them in a bread pan. You can use any pan you like, but using a bread pan saves you some refrigerator space.

Place another bread pan on top of the salmon, nesting inside the first pan.

 
 

Now take a few cans of something—I used coconut milk—and put them in the upper bread pan to weigh it down.

Refrigerate it for 2–3 days. The curing time depends on the thickness of your fillets. If they are on the thick side, I’d let it go for at least 3 days.

 
 

You can check on it after a couple days by removing the weighted bread pan and poking the salmon. If it seems to be more firm than it was, then it’s well on its way. It should be firm enough to slice thinly and have a deep salty, dilly flavor.

There will also be quite a bit of liquid in the pan. It’s ok. Just drain it out.

If the texture and taste aren’t quite right, then return it to the fridge for 8–12 more hours and try again.

 
 

Slice up that salmon and make yourself a charcuterie platter! I loved this salmon on a baguette with some herbed cream cheese, sliced cucumber, and a sprig of fresh dill.

 
 

It’s even great without that baguette if you’re eating gluten-free. I may have had little cucumber bites for breakfast every day for a week.

 
 

After doing a little research I noticed many recipes call for vodka or other spices or even fresh garlic. I’d love to hear if you’ve made cured salmon and how you like to eat it!

 
 

https://ift.tt/2O3C3FU

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario