About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

lunes, 12 de noviembre de 2018

Holiday Wild Rice Salad by Brenda

The very best salads are loaded salads, don’t you agree?

I adore fresh greens that are piled high with different flavors, colors, and textures. Salads that eat like a meal, leaving me feeling satisfied and nourished.

This Holiday Wild Rice Salad is all of that. The combination of salad ingredients, paired with an easy-to-make maple Dijon dressing, will have you wanting these items at the ready all winter long!

 
 

I’m a huge fan of wild rice. And especially this time of year, I aim to include it on our menu as much as possible. My creamy wild rice soup is a longtime favorite; I’m always sure to save some Thanksgiving turkey for a pot of this soup. It’s worth roasting or grilling a larger turkey, simply to ensure those wonderful leftovers!

If you don’t know much about wild rice, check out my Food & Friends post for Chicken Wild Rice Casserole with Gruyere, where I talk more about it. It’s a nutritious dynamo!

 
 

I’ve covered all the bases here in this deconstructed salad. There’s a beautiful mix of earthy, chewy, nutty, salty, crunchy, tart, bright, fresh, and creamy.

When making a deconstructed salad of your own for the holidays, feel free to substitute items that you prefer. Just aim for a well-rounded mixture of textures, colors, and flavors.

First, let’s talk about what to use for the fresh layer of greens at the base. I recommend greens that are on the sturdier side, such as peppery arugula or baby kale. These will stand up better for a longer amount of time. Nobody wants to look at or eat wilty greens.

 
 

As far as the fruits go, pears would be lovely instead of the apples. And if you like dried fruits, cranberries would be an obvious choice this time of year.

My family likes pomegranate seeds so much, I doubt they’d let me remove them from this salad. Their bright flavor and color and little pops of juiciness are hard to pass up.

And without a doubt, bacon would have to stay for our family table. We use a thick-cut, double-smoked bacon from our local butcher shop. It’s a real treat when it comes to bacon. But prosciutto would also be good, as well as some smoky ham cut into cubes.

 
 

Blue cheese can be pretty controversial. I totally get it. This stinky, veiny cheese is not for everyone. But I think it’s the perfect choice for this salad. Other possibilities could be a creamy, crumbled goat cheese or big shavings of salty Parmesan.

Should we also talk about nuts? Maybe you like walnuts or almonds better than the pecans I featured. Or pistachios. Any of those would be fabulous choices.

 
 

And finally, I have an incredible dressing to share with you that marries everything together for this bountiful salad platter. The main flavors are equal parts Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and red wine vinegar. And some fresh shallots and a touch of curry round it out. It’s completely delicious. I’m positive you’ll be whizzing up this dressing for more than just this holiday salad!

This hearty, festive salad hits all the right spots. It’ll easily—and deservedly—earn its place on your holiday table.

 
Printable Recipe: Holiday Wild Rice Salad

 
 

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario