About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

lunes, 21 de enero de 2019

Cheese Straws by Bridget

Cheese Straws by Bridget

Although my mom was a great cook, she never made cheese straws. She bought them—at Steinmart! Because of this, I always thought making cheese straws would be difficult. Not so! (Also, I think that’s why my stomach growls every time I shop at Steinmart.)

 
 

Cheese straws are similar to homemade cheese crackers, but a bit lighter, thanks to a bit of baking powder. They’re obviously shaped a little differently, too. They’re heaven with a glass of wine or a cold beer. Or, one of Ree’s Blackberry Margaritas!

 
 

For the cheese, cheddar is traditional. I love Kerrygold’s Dubliner which is a cheddar-like cheese with a bit of nuttiness. I also like to throw a little freshly grated Parmesan in the mix. Gruyere would be delicious as well. If you can grate it, it’ll probably work here.

 
 

Butter is an important part of cheese straws. If you have a favorite, like Irish butter, this is a good place for it. Cut it into chunks, grate the cheeses (don’t use pre-shredded here), and let them come to room temperature.

Whisk the flour with baking powder and spices. I use a mix of dry mustard, cayenne, and paprika. The cayenne gives the cheese straws a little kick, but I wouldn’t call them spicy. Use plain paprika, not smoked, as it’s mainly there for color.

 
 

Beat the butter and cheeses together until they’re combined.

 
 

Add in the flour mixture. It’ll look quite dry.

 
 

After adding a bit of water, the dough will come together.

 
 

For shaping, you can use a cookie press. Of all of the cookie items I own, I don’t keep a cookie press. For my cheese straws, I like to roll them out and cut with a pizza cutter. (The dough is too stiff to squeeze through a piping bag—take my word for it.)

 
 

Give them a little twist and bake until crispy.

 
 

Vary the length on the straws, anywhere from 5 to 9 inches. If an end breaks when twisting, no worries. It’ll just be a bit shorter.

 
 

Part of their charm is that they’re not all one length. They’re so whimsical and inviting standing up in a glass for serving.

 
 

Cheese straws will keep in an airtight container. If you’re having friends over for cocktails, make them the day before. Just try not to gobble them all before your guests arrive.

Here’s the printable recipe: Cheese Straws

 

http://bit.ly/2DpJg08

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario