About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

lunes, 5 de diciembre de 2016

9 Tips for an Easy & Elegant Cocktail Party by Jessica

9 Tips for an Easy & Elegant Cocktail Party by Jessica

9 Tips for an Easy & Elegant Cocktail Party

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

I absolutely love entertaining and having gatherings both large and small at our home any time of year. But this is my favorite time to do so. You just can’t beat the joy of the holiday season: the glitter, the sparkles, the music, the FOOD. It’s wonderful.

However, considering the insane schedule everyone has from Thanskgiving to Christmas, along with all those other regular, everyday responsibilities that don’t just disappear, planning a small get-together can turn me into one giant stress ball. I come from a long line of lovely holiday hostesses (my grandmothers, aunts and mom all throw the most wonderful parties!) and I’ve learned a few tips from them along the way.

 
 
Paper Invitations

Send a pretty invite.

I can’t even tell you how giddy I get about receiving a tangible paper invite in the mail as opposed to an evite over email. It’s a classic and classy move that instantly elevates any party you’re planning. Invite sent? You’re off to a great and elegant start!

The downside to a paper invite is that it takes a bit more advance planning. There are many stationary stores where you can find pretty invitations and write on them by hand, and of course, you can also order online if you’ve planned far enough ahead. It’s by no means necessary, so don’t think that you NEED a paper invite to have a party.

 

Consider a Thursday.

If you want to throw a party at the last minute, consider a Thursday. December is a CRAZY month for everyone. While you’d most likely never catch me replying “Yes!” to a party during the week (because I’m secretly 85 years old and like to be in bed early), I find that during the holiday season, anything goes. I like to look at December as one huge holiday month, and I remember my mom having parties on December weeknights when I was kid. Thursday is generally a close-enough extension of the weekend, and I find that most people look forward to a relaxing and lovely evening on Thursdays. There’s a bonus, too: even if you’re throwing a semi-fancy party, it will feel a bit more relaxed and un-stuffy on a Thursday.

 
 
Cheese Board

Don’t forget a cheese board.

This is my absolute party must-have! Whether I’m having five people or thirty people over, I make a cheese board. Always. First, it covers all the bases. You can have meat, cheese, crackers, fruit and veggies on one plate. It doesn’t have to be insane and it doesn’t even have to offer a wide variety of options. I might even share a secret and tell you that some grocery stores (cough, Sam’s Club, Costco, cough) already sell cheese squares (with GOOD cheese!) and sliced meat that you can assemble as you wish, on a pretty dish!

 
 
Pistachio Goat Cheese Ball

Keep it simple.


Once you have your cheese board planned out, pick anywhere from one to three more recipes, depending on the size of your party. Simple is better, and offering only a few choices is an elegant move. Remember, it’s a cocktail party—you don’t need full dishes.

Choose recipes that you can make ahead of time. A few weeks ago I taught a small bites cooking class, and almost everything we made could be prepared the night before. This was so awesome! A handful of ideas that you can use here include a cream-cheese based dip that can be made the night before and baked off right before the party, or a homemade salsa that can sit for a few days so the flavors marry.

You can prepare stuffed mushrooms, a holiday cheeseball, a crudité platter, the old classic veggie pizza or even cookies or cupcakes for dessert the day before. You can even elevate popcorn to make it something special for the party.

I also think it’s important to choose things that don’t have to stay hot to taste delicious. If you have one dish that is best served warm, you can use a slow cooker. But refrain from serving appetizers that should only be served warm, unless you want to be in the kitchen all night long. I like to actually enjoy the party and my guests, and take part in the festivities.

 
 
Pear and Blue Cheese Crostini

Remember that the rule of thumb for most cocktail parties is to serve something that can be picked up and eaten with one hand—so the other is free for your cocktail, of course! While I don’t mind breaking this rule for one dish, I do think it’s important to have some bites that people can grab. Something like these pear and blue cheese crostini bites that have a ton of flavor but only require one hand to hold, are key!

 

Consider food placement.


One more thing I like to do is place the snacks and food in different areas. Instead of setting everything on the center island where people will hover, I will place one dish at one end, a second at the other end, one dish in the dining room and a few bowls of mixed nuts or snack mix throughout the house.

 
 
Raspberry Smash

Use fancy cocktail napkins.


Now is the time to finally use those fancy cocktail napkins you’ve got stashed somewhere. My grandma taught me this and it’s something I never forget about her parties. She was such an elegant hostess. She kept things very simple, offered two to three bites per party, and always had out beautiful cocktail napkins that just gave the atmosphere that extra touch of fancy. In fact, cocktail napkins were also her signature gift. She’d bring them for other hostesses, and I still hoard a few packages that she gave me before she passed.

I also think this is a nice trick that gives the party your own personal touch. Keep it simple with white dishware, classic tumblers and wine glasses, but show off your personality with a bold cocktail napkin.

 
 
White Christmas Margaritas

Have a signature cocktail.

This might be my favorite part of ANY party. For as long as I can remember, whenever we’d go to my aunt’s house, she’d have some sort of party cocktail for that day. There doesn’t even have to be a special holiday—she just chooses a signature drink and makes a big batch. I think this is such a welcoming treat and really brings everyone together as they sip the same cocktail. It could be something as simple as a 2-ingredient Sangria, or treat them to White Christmas Margaritas in the photo above! This spiced apple cider pomegranate Moscow mule also sounds fantastic, as does the raspberry smash seen earlier.

I also like to have red and white wine (just one of each) on hand and one kind of beer, too. No need to go overboard or even offer a full bar. It just makes everything cluttered and crowded, and unless you have a bartender, it also can be messy.

 
 
Holiday Albums

Make a killer playlist.

Lastly, have your music ready to go and curate the playlist that YOU love! For the holidays, I think a mix between old classics and new pop is best. I like to make a playlist of around 50 songs and set it to shuffle. You can find my favorites here.

 
 
Raspberry Smash

Those are 9 of my best pointers for throwing an easy but elegant cocktail party. Do you have your own tried and true tips? I’d love to hear them in the comments below!

 
 


http://ift.tt/2gaTc1M

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario