About

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

gallery

gallery
my pic

ANNONCE

http://www.propellerads.com/?rfd=dRV

miércoles, 1 de febrero de 2017

Healthy 7-Layer Dip by Dara

Healthy 7-Layer Dip

Super Bowl Sunday is just around the corner, which means that, like Jessica, I have game day food on the brain. Chicken wings, nachos, dips, chili … the list goes on and on. Is it just me or does it seem possible that someone came up with the idea of game day snacks and tailgating just to have an excuse to eat copious amounts of melted cheese and bacon? Not that I’m complaining, of course.

Many of my friends tell me that they’re just there for the food and the commercials, but I am a shameless sports fan. I can argue with the referee over a bad call with the best of them. Of course, that happens through the TV, so it’s a one-way conversation to nowhere. That all started way back in the day when I’d watch hockey with my mum and dad, and we’d cheer and yell at the TV in unison when our favorite Vancouver Canucks took the ice. Now I will indiscriminately cheer, regardless of the sport.

Cheering and yelling takes a lot of energy, and energy requires snacks. So, I am in full support of a great game day spread. While I enjoy a plate of nachos as much as the next sports fan, these days I find myself drifting more toward healthy snacks. Sometimes that means coming up with something completely new, or revamping an old favorite to make it lighter while still preserving all the flavors.

And so this healthier version of the classic 7-layer dip was born. Sour cream was swapped out, refried beans replaced, and cheese layers slimmed down a bit. And you know what? It still tastes fantastic!

 
 
Healthy 7-Layer Dip

The seven layers in this dip are black beans, spiced yogurt, a quick guacamole, tomatoes, queso fresco, black olives and green onions. It couldn’t be easier!

 
 
Healthy 7-Layer Dip

Swapping black beans for refried beans is completely a personal thing. I’ve never been a fan of refried beans and many of the store-bought versions can be high in cholesterol and saturated fat. If you make your own, you can definitely make a healthier version. But to keep things simple, I opted for canned black beans.

 
 
Healthy 7-Layer Dip

Next up is the sour cream substitute. Starting with nonfat plain Greek yogurt, I whisked in cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Good enough to eat with a spoon!

 
 
Healthy 7-Layer Dip

Many 7-layer dip recipes call for store-bought guacamole, but I opted for a simple mash of avocados and lime juice.

 
 
Healthy 7-Layer Dip

And last but not least, layer on the tomatoes, queso fresco, green onions and black olives. I also included some minced cilantro, but feel free to leave it out if you’re not a fan.

Serve up the dip with pita chips, tortilla chips and raw veggies. Get ready to dip and cheer!

 
 


0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario